Friday, July 16, 2010

New Job Jitters

Dear Moo;

Ummm, I'm a long time reader, first time writer.

You don't know me, but I'm a level ?? dragon that's getting a lot of hype in World of Warcraft blogs, and updates and what not.

I even make a very brief but impressive appearance in an official wow video, er, I mean cinematic.

The day is approaching when I will wreck havoc across Azeroth and strike fear into the hearts of its denizens, and hopefully player characters! Well, its not me wrecking havoc, I've got a bunch of guys to do that...oh, and Sarah...sorry Sarah, didn't mean to leave you out.

Here's the problem Moo.

I'm terrified. I mean, what if I don't live up to everyone's expectations? I'm worried that the very first PuG that gets to me will one shot me and go bragging to all their friends and the entire world that they "1-shotted Deathwing!". I mean really, how would I live that down?

What if Blizz gets hate mail that I'm not viscous enough, hard enough, that I'm not a challenge at all!?

Seriously Moo I can't go back to working in a call center selling foot massagers to old people!! Do you know how humiliating it will be when I say, "Hello Ma'am, my name is Deathwing, and did you know that for today only you can get a special deal on the Relaxomatic vibrating foot massager?"

If that happens the wife will kill me and the kids will probably stop talking to me. I mean, now that all their school friends have heard that I'm going to be kicking ass in Azeroth they're cool again. If I get fired, they're probably going to get beat up.

So, Moo, what's your advice? If this is performance anxiety how do I deal with it? And if its not, do you know anyone whose hiring dragons?

Due to a Non-Disclosure Agreement I signed with Blizzard, I can't reveal my name, so just sign me as "Henry".

PS. I like my steak lean, so if you can shed a few pounds before 85, I'd really appreciate it!




Dear Henry

I'll admit that I'm a bit conflicted here. First off you ask for my help, then you make a snide comment about my weight.....are you maybe my first wife?

Anyway, lets get to your issues.

New job jitters are something that everyone goes through. Well everyone that's ever had a job. So don't worry, its natural.

The key to being your best at your new job is preparation. You're supposed to be a big bad raid boss, and there are ways you can ensure you are.

The first thing I would do in your place is go to Tankspot and start watching boss fight videos, learn from your predecessors mistakes.

Here are some tips...

First thing, you should always go for healers first. Ignore the ones that start the fight...they're called tanks and can be very very hard to kill. Healers are often wearing cloth armour and are very likely more chewy than crunchy...if you like that sort of thing.

Note to self: Respec Elemental

After the healers are dead the raid is pretty much screwed, so you can just take your time and eat whomever looks tastiest.

To assist with this I would click this
link and do some research on how to avoid being drawn to tanks.

The next thing...and this is very important....never do the same thing twice. Raids expect you to follow a script.
Use your imagination and try things like hiding in different parts of the instance and jumping out at the raid when they are afk for bio's and things like that. Note that if you come in behind the raid, that's usually where the healers are standing.
You could also try assembling a raid of your own. Gather up some of your friends and make the fight fair.

Now, hopefully you find this advice helpful, and can maybe help me out a bit. I'll email you a list of players I wouldn't mind seeing demolished over and over again!

Good Luck!
Moo










No comments:

Post a Comment